Skip to main content

Deep as the Sky, Red as the Sea


 Deep as the Sky, Red as the Sea
By Rita Chang-Epping
Format: Hardcover
Length: 281 Pages
First Publication: 2023
Genre: Historical Fiction

Owned - Book Off


SYPNOSIS

When Shek Yeung sees a Portuguese sailor slay her husband, a feared pirate, she knows she must act swiftly or die. Instead of mourning, Shek Yeun launches a new plan: immediately marrying her husband's second-in-command and agreeing to bear him a son and heir in order to retain power over her half of the fleet.

But as Shek Yeung vies for control over the army she knows she was born to lead, larger threats loom. The Chinese emperor has charged a brutal, crafty nobleman with ridding the South China Sea of pirates, and the Europeans- tired of losing ships, men, and money to Shek Yeung's alliance- have new plans for the area. Even worse, Shek Yeung's cutthroat retributions create problems all their own. As Shek Yeung navigates new motherhood and the crises of leadership, she must decide how long she is willing to fight, and at what price, or risk losing her fleet, her new family, and even her life.

A book of salt and grit, blood and sweat, Deep as the Sky, Red as the Sea is an unmissable portrait of a woman who leads with the courage and ruthlessness of our darkest and most beloved heroes.




Why did I pick up this book?

I liked the cover and because of that I would keep picking it up at Barnes and Noble. Asian female pirate captain getting married (I'm a sucker for possible sweet couples in nonromance focused stories) !? But reviews were meh and that stupidly kept me away for awhile. 

Finally picked it up when I found it in good condition for cheap at BookOff. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Swapped Places with the Villainess, Beat Up Her Fiancé, and Found True Love Vol.1

How I Swapped Places with the Villainess, Beat Up Her Fiancé, and Found True Love Vol. 1 By BlueBlue Artist Meiji Anno Format: digital eBook Length: 190 (Kobo) / 243 (kindle) First Publication: 2022 Genre: Fiction Borrowed - Kobo Plus SYNOPSIS I'm The Villainess, So I'll Just Beat Up My Problems! After dying in a traffic accident, I would up in an otome game world. What's more, I swapped places with a girl named Alexandra. The so-called heroine had already bewitched Alexandra's fiancé-the second prince-and set her up as the villainess. To make matters worse, I arrived right in the middle of Alexandra's bogus condemnation. So, what's a girl to do in a situation like this? Kick her fiancé's butt and seize the happy ending, of course! But as soon as I did just that, the world collapsed, and I looped back in time to Alexandra's childhood. Years later, I met the older, incredibly gorgeous first prince. Oh, and he seemed totally into me! Could this be true lov...

I Am America (And So Can You!)

  I Am America (And So Can You!) By Stephen Colbert Format: Audiobook Length: 03:33:00 First Publication: 2007 Genre: Humor (nonfiction), Politics, Satire Borrowed - Libby SYPNOSIS Congratulations - just by looking at this webpage, you became 25% more patriotic. From Stephen Colbert, the host of television's highest-rated punditry show The Colbert Report, comes the book to fill the other 23 hours of your day. I Am America (And So Can You! ) contains all of the opinions that Stephen doesn't have time to shoehorn into his nightly broadcast. Dictated directly into a microcassette recorder over a three-day weekend, this book contains Stephen's most deeply held knee-jerk beliefs on The American Family, Race, Religion, Sex, Sports, and many more topics, conveniently arranged in chapter form. Always controversial and outspoken, Stephen addresses why Hollywood is destroying America by inches, why evolution is a fraud, and why the elderly should be harnessed to millstones. You may ...

Dead-End Café in the Royal Capital | Info & Read-along

  Dead-End Caf é  in the Royal Capital Author Shuu Artist Yutoto Left to Right: Henry Howler, Cat, Mai SYPNOSIS Mai Sasaki lived a quiet life in Tokyo-until illness claimed her after just 26 years. But on the brink of death, her grandmother bestows a final gift: the knowledge of magic and the power to start anew in another world. Healthy once again and filled with purpose, Mai opens a small cafe named "The Hideaway", tucked at the very end of a quiet street in the royal capital. Her goal? To use her second change to bring comfort, warmth, and delicious food to others. One of her most frequent (and mysterious) customers is Henry, the kingdom's top scribe. Dignified and composed, he seems to carry secrets far heavier than the stacks of parchment he handles at the castle. A story of second chances, gentle magic, and quiet love begins in a cozy café that feels like home.  Why did I pick up this manga? As always, it looks cute and I like that the FL isn't super young...